The California Republican

This blog was created in order to report on a streak of conservatism currently taking hold in California. Recent events, and voting records show much of the same here in California, but the trend is one that is certainly in our favor.

Tuesday, December 21, 2004

Overhaulin': FDA edition.


Bill Maher has his new rules.
Bill O'Reilly has his ridiculous items of the day.
I have my overhaulin' section.

Today, Reuters, along with many other news corporations, broke the story about Naproxen. Many of you may know already, but Celebrx, Vioxx, and now Naproxen have come under fire for causing heart disease, and have already led to some deaths. Vioxx has been pulled from the shelf, and Merck & Co. is suffering badly from it. Now, Pfizer looks to be in some trouble with Celebrex.

The reason this story strikes so close to home is two-fold.
1. I do not like my tax-dollars being wasted.
2. My wife takes these medicines just to get by day-to-day.

The Food and Drug Administration (FDA) is tasked with an unbelievably difficult job. Their duty is basically to keep Americans safe by regulating drugs. They use a lot of money to ensure our safety. So, when is failure acceptable? I say we should give everyone a second chance; however, what if they fail four times in a few months..... And counting.

When the flu vaccine debacle was occurring I said "ok, this seems partisan."
When Vioxx occurred I thought "hmm, I'm glad this isn't the drug my wife is taking."
Next came Celebrex and I said "it is almost as if the FDA is corrupt or negligent."
Now Naproxen, which my wife takes every day (until today) and I say "enough is enough."

I need to hear something more than "we're looking into it." While I contemplate writing my congressman, I implore you to consider what the FDA is doing, and to judge them fairly.

Currently, it seems like we are giving arthritis patients an option, feel good and die, or feel bad and die.

It is time to overhaul the FDA!